Tuesday, January 24, 2012

2012 Oscars








2012 Oscars: Sunday, Feb 26th on ABC - Host Billy Crystal returns once again.

Not an overly exciting year, but a few good ones out there.

Biggest snubs in my opinion: Take Shelter (one of my favorites of the year for both picture and Michael Shannon as actor) and Michael Fassbender getting no acting nod for Shame. Gary Oldman as best actor for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is awesome, but the movie got no other nods, so unlikely for him to win.

I'll probably update closer to the show with thoughts on who I think will win, but for now just some brief notes made throughout:

Nominees:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Best actress in a supporting role

Bérénice Bejo, The Artist - she was great, but shouldn't win here
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids - An obvious attempt to appeal to a wider audience
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs - Haven't seen it
Octavia Spencer, The Help - Even splitting the vote with Chastain I think she gets it. I guess with this list I give it to her as well, though I think Chastain should have been nominated for Tree of Life.

Best actor in a supporting role

Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn - Haven't seen it
Jonah Hill, Moneyball - no chance, happy to be nominated I'm sure
Nick Nolte, Warrior - Haven't seen it, but I don't think he gets it
Christopher Plummer, Beginners - Haven't seen it, but I think it is his based on previous wins
Max Von Sydow, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Haven't seen it

Best actress in a leading role Haven't seen 3 of these so can't really pick my favorite

Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

Best actor in a leading role

Demián Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist He carried this film and it looks like it will get lots of love from the Academy
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Surprising - I love it, but didn't expect it, and don't think he can win
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Best director

Michel Hazavanicius, The Artist
Alexander Payne, The Descendants
Martin Scorsese, Hugo - I like him to win and I would be happy if he did.
Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life - Happy to see it, but I'm not sure it can win against this year's nominees

Best original Screenplay

The Artist
Bridesmaids
Margin Call
Midnight in Paris I didn't see A Separation but it is going to win Foreign film, so I think Woody gets this one, and I just happened to love the film.
A Separation

Best adapted screenplay

The Descendants
Hugo
Ides of March
Moneyball - Just a gut feeling
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best foreign language film Can't really comment, just on what I have heard A Separation will win easily

Bullhead
Footnote
In Darkness
Monsieur Lazhar
A Separation

Best animated film - I have absolutely no idea

A Cat in Paris
Chico And Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Rango
Puss in Boots

Best picture Not a great year in my opinion but some really good ones and some laughable ones.

War Horse - Lol at a Best picture nomination. If this wins it will be worse than Shakespeare in Love or Crash.
The Artist - Maybe the favorite?
Moneyball - Not gonna do it
The Descendants - Strong contender
The Tree of Life - I don't think it can win here
Midnight in Paris - Loved it, but not gonna take it
The Help - Outside dark horse, but not for me
Hugo - One of 3 I think has a chance
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - LOL... All I have heard is how shitty this.. haven't seen it though

Art direction

The Artist - Probably this or Hugo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
War Horse

Cinematography

The Artist
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
The Tree of Life
War Horse - Possibly the correct one for this, though I prefer Tree of Life

Costume design I don't know enough here so I'm guessing

Anonymous
The Artist
Hugo
Jane Eyre
W.E.

Documentary feature - Didn't see enough so I'm guessing

Hell and Back Again
If A Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
Pina
Undefeated

Documentary short subject Can't even guess

The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement
God is the Bigger Elvis
Incident in New Baghdad
Saving Face
The Tsumani and the Cherry Blossom

Film editing

The Artist - I'm guessing
The Descendants
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
Moneyball

Sound editing

Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
War Horse

Sound mixing

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I hope
Hugo
Moneyball
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
War Horse

Visual effects

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Hugo
Real Steel
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - My guess
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Make up Can't even guess

Albert Nobbs
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
The Iron Lady

Music (original score) I'm not sure on this one

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
The Artist
Hugo
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
War Horse

Music (original song)

The Muppets
Rio

Short film (animated) Can't even guess

Dimanche / Sunday
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore
La Luna
A Morning Stroll
Wild Life

Short film (live action) Can't even guess

Pentecost
Raju
The Shore
Time Freak
Tuba Atlantic

No comments: