Thursday, February 4, 2010

My favorite 20 films of the 2000s: Mean Girls

These are my 20 personal favorite films of the 2000s and they are not being ranked according to any criteria, other than I love them. So here they are, in alphabetical order:





Mean Girls (2004) I’ll concede this is my guilty pleasure on my list of 20 favorites. This is no cinematic masterpiece and it has no life changing conclusions, but this film is a hell of a lot of fun and I never turn it off if I come across it on TV. In 2004 Lindsay Lohan actually had a career in progress – she was popular and hot at least – and playing a high school girl named Cady who was home-schooled most of her life while living in Africa with her parents is her defining role. This is a more modern-day Clueless and I absolutely love the supporting cast: Rachel McAdams as Regina, the queen of the ‘plastics’ clique; Lacey Chabert as the follower and heiress to the guy who invented toaster-stroodle; Amanda Seyfried as the girl who can sort of tell the weather by touching her breasts; And even Tina Fey who I normally don’t like and Tim Meadows put on funny performances as school staff. The premise of teen angst and peer pressure is put to comedic excellence and this film will always be a winner to me.



No comments: