Friday, January 29, 2010

A mini-movie review: Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Director - Guy Ritchie
128 min; PG-13
Cast
Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr.
Dr. Watson - Jude Law
Irene Adler - Rachel McAdams


A typically loud and boisterous film by director Guy Ritchie (RocknRolla; Snatch; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels), the first attempt in years to put the wonderful stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to the big screen, is a resounding fail. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law have pretty good chemistry as the tag-team crime-stopping duo, but Rachel McAdams as the mysterious love interest Irene Adler brings nothing to the table, and it is unfortunate because I like most of the roles she plays. The dark and brooding tone of the film are probably correct, but it becomes trying on the eyes and your soul as the bleakness of London is shoved down your throat.

Perhaps the greatest issue I have comes from the plot, and I'm not giving much away when I say that taking a a supernatural approach to the story and then giving it a typical twist ending is not worthy to the type of film this could have been (and yes, I understand that a twist ending to a Sherlock Holmes film is reasonable) - the film was simply made to make way for a franchise and I do not doubt that more are already in the works.

At 128 minutes I wanted this film to be 89 minutes and better. I want my $10 back.

** out of 5

No comments: