Wednesday, February 20, 2013

February version of some very brief movie recaps


I've been lazy and uninspired to write lately so I'm just going to throw this here...

Movies watched since my last posted reviews:

Life of Pi (2012) - Great in many ways but it never really entered my mind that it was a top 5 of the year. Must see? I don't think so, but yeah you should see it if you get the chance

John Dies at the End (2013) - Pleasantly surprised with this one as I knew absolutely nothing about it going in... some pretty crazy takes on a mix of genres including horror/comedy/time travel/different dimensions. Just a wacky story with some fun moments.

Side Effects (2013) First two thirds create a pretty reasonably well done thriller, but the final act falls apart completely. Liked Jude Law more than usual and Mara was decent enough for the first half... didn't care for the Zeta Jones character but not because of her acting, just the role.

Silver Linings Playbook (2012) Re-watch - Watched for a second time and my feelings are exactly the same that it was a top 10 movie but not a top 5, though that distinction is just too subjective to matter. It was solid in many ways but I don't think it fully pays off.

Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) Re-watch - My favorite movie of 2012 and it got better the second time. Will watch again.

Brick (2005) - Joseph Gordon Levitt in an early role directed by Rian Johnson. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind, a little distracted to pay full attention, but I liked what I saw in general. It's a high school thriller that plays on a mob like setting with drugs and detective work, but it is done in a pretty cool way that doesn't pull any punches.

No comments: