Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Movie Review: Predators (2010)


Predators (2010)

Director - Nimród Antal
106 min; R
Cast
Royce - Adrien Brody
Isabelle - Alice Braga
Edwin - Topher Grace
Cuchillo - Danny Trejo

I don’t have much to say about Predators that anybody who would enjoy this movie would want to hear, so I’m just going to say it is pretty awful in the grand scheme of things, but not so horrible that you should pass up a chance to walk into it after seeing a good film. Maybe you’ll be with the right kind of person and the two of you can enjoy placing bets on what order the random group of killers will be killed by the alien things. I definitely lost out when I thought the Yakuza Japanese guy was going to get it next and it turned out to be, wait, no no no, I will not give away a spoiler here! You’re just going to have to see the movie like everyone else.

Adrien Brody simply cannot pull off a tough guy role. It can’t be done. At least not here. I mean, how is it possible to watch this film without comparing everything to the infinitely better original film Predator (1987) and the completely perfectly cast Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch? Can’t be done. I suppose the creators of this film knew exactly what they were doing when they had the entire cast literally drop into the movie with no back story via parachutes – I mean, we never really know why things have happened the way they have, and we never really care, either.

* and a half out of 5

No comments: