Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Movie Review: The A-Team (2010)


The A-Team (2010)

Director - Joe Carnahan
117 Min; PG-13
Cast
Hannibal - Liam Neeson
Face - Bradley Cooper
B.A. - Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson
Murdock - Sharlto Copley
Sosa - Jessica Biel

I love it when a plan comes together. I also love it when I go to the theater and see a movie that doesn’t make me look at the time, like, 5 times. Not to say the The A-Team adaptation of the cult tv series was all bad, I mean, I laughed a few times, but this simply isn’t good enough. Like the Dukes of Hazzard, the A-Team was a tv series I grew up with, but don’t really recall any specific storylines, and the idea that there is a 2 hour story for a feature length film just doesn’t add up, unless, of course, you’re interested in physically impossible and highly coincidental explosions that defy all laws of physics.

Bradley Cooper has become the token smug bad-boy in his films and thankfully he does provide some of the best scenes in this film, but Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson as “Mr. T”??? You could seriously pick any black male off the street with a few muscles, shave his head to a Mohawk, and pay him $1,000 to do a better job at what we in the movie-watching for pleasure business like to call ‘acting.’ Sharlto Copley as Murdock is good comic relief, I suppose, but what I really wonder is how much money Liam Neeson owes to his bookie to have signed on as the leader of this gang, Hannibal, the man with the plan? I’m not trying to vault him into the upper echelon of greatest actors of his generation, but this film smells very much like a paycheck.

Of course there is a woman to look at throughout this ‘film’ - Jessica Biel, obviously playing a high ranking military official who is seemingly everywhere but doing nothing, and I’m not quite sure how we are to ever take anything coming out of her mouth as remotely serious.

This is a summer film for people who don’t care much about taking 2 hours to laugh a bit at Bradley Cooper, although I admit I did laugh out loud more than a few times at how absurd everything was, and really, just at how awfully cast the production crew was with Rampage.

* and ½ out of 5

No comments: