Monday, March 12, 2012

Random thoughts indeed...

Before I begin a random stream of thought, I'd like to ask any of you reading this if you have any suggestions or requests for movie related discussions? It is a dead zone right now and I am open to anything - requests? 

So here it is, March madness time of the year, and I have seen just 3 movies with a 2012 release date:  http://randomthoughtsbymatt.blogspot.com/2012/02/3-movie-reviews-from-2012-grey-safe.html (The Grey, Safehouse, and The Woman in Black.) I also saw A Dangerous Method about Freud and Jung - nothing special for me to write about.

Pretty typical of January and February for there not to be much I want to see, although both The Grey and Safehouse were great surprises to find early in the year.  I have spent the better part of several months watching the complete Sopranos series from start to finish and only have about 8 episodes left, so once that is done I will be getting a lot more Netflix and hopefully will find some hidden gems to post about.  I've already got a long line up with a diverse selection ready to come.

Looking ahead I am not too excited about upcoming theater releases.  I'm actually beginning to hate anything with CGI in it... I used to just not like it, or at the very least, tolerate it, but now I see a trailer with CGI in it and I instantly think to myself, "I'm never going to pay to see that".  I'm just not a fanboy or geekboy with those types of movies.  I want something gripping with great acting and a solid plot.  One of the best movies I have seen in a long time was from 2011 and if you love great acting you really need to see it - Take Shelter with Michael Shannon.  Just an amazing film.

On my computer I have 2011's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - an excellent film that I want to re-watch, and A Separation, winner of Best Foreign Oscar this year which is supposed to be outstanding.  I am going to try and get to it soon.  I am also going to start watching the tv series The Wire - I have the first season on my computer and have been told it is great, though I've never seen an episode.



No comments: