Friday, July 17, 2009

Thoughts on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)


Ok - Unlike most of my reviews, this is just a bunch of random thoughts associated with the film. It is a big film though, so I feel like I have to comment. There are spoilers and rants, so proceed at your own caution if you intend to see this film:



I saw it today.

Really have no desire to do a full write-up so here are my random thoughts.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
Director- David Yates
153 min; PG
Basic same cast as the others

Oh man was I completely unsatisfied when I left the building. And on the entire ride home. And even now. This entire movie had the feel like something was missing. I mean, every 10 minutes I was wondering when it would get interesting.

And to be clear - I loved the entire book series and felt this book was probably the best of all 7. This movie just fell flat on every level.

The most glaring and obvious terrible mistake was the ending - how the hell they left out the tower fight scene is beyond me... I was at least expecting that to save the movie.

Young Tom Riddle was awesome. Slughorn was awesome. Other than that, yeah, I get it that they are growing up and have boy/girl feelings... what about all the muggle world having to fear dark magic? I mean, it is completely forgotten after the opening sequence.

Harry/Ron/Hermione were all averagely fine. Not bad, not great.

I know this was a set-up of sorts for the final, but I'm sure they could have had a little more action throughout 150+ minutes.

I'm not going to rip it to pieces, because I still love the series and love the premise and it was ok for entertainment, but this was very average.


** 1/2 out of 5

No comments: