Monday, May 11, 2009

Movie thoughts: Powder Blue (2009)

Ok no formal review here and probably has spoilers- so just going off my general reaction and not thinking too deeply about the film, my initial thoughts are as follows:

I think the film was on the verge of being better than average, but ultimately it is an average watch. It almost ended up feeling like an R-rated made for tv movie. I could not get past some pretty bad acting for the most part, but the real killer was that the story lines just didn't add up in the end.

Jessica Biel was simply not that good (not surprising to me at all) and yes she is sexy as hell, which may have helped save the movie a bit. Her story line is kind of absurd - the kid in a coma? I mean... I don't know...

Ray Liotta had the type of part that could have played out pretty cool, but it was over-acted and too obvious throughout.

The mortician kid had a reasonably dark role and I think he did the best job of acting a difficult part - his role saved the movie for me. I would have liked to see more of his day-to-day life.

Forest Whitaker - maybe I'm way off here - someone tell me please - but man I thought he was bad. It could just be that his script was pretty bad, as far as what he was given to work with, but I just thought he overplayed the mopey poor-is-me role.

I'm struggling with how to rate it actually... I don't think I can suggest to people that they see it, but I also can't say stay away... I really think a ** 1/2 out of 5 is about right.

I think the word cliche is what comes to mind for me in a lot of this, but not quite as bad as it could be???

Definitely would like to hear other opinions if you see it because I'm torn on this one. Part of me wants to say it wasn't very good and part of me wants to say it was ok.

No comments: